Under the direction of the Account Manager, the Medical Biller/ Billing Assistant performs a wide variety of duties to support the Billing Specialists in their day to day workflow. These tasks are completed according to company standards as well as state and federal guidelines.
Demonstrates commitment to service excellence by:
- Verify patients’ insurance information utilizing various resources such as websites, telephone IVR’s and provider relation CSR’s when applicable.
- Make telephone calls to patients, hospitals, insurance companies and/or attorneys as needed to research claims or obtain insurance information.
- Contact insurance carriers to inquire about the status of past due accounts.
- Meet or exceed defined productivity standards.
- Document details of activity on each account in the claims processing system (RescueNet)
- Process primary and secondary paper claims to insurance carriers.
- Follow up on self-pay accounts. This includes contacting the patient by telephone to inquire about insurance coverage or to establish payment plans.
- Follow up on accounts that have reached collections to ensure they have been fully worked before the account is referred to an external collection agency.
- Follow-up on any assigned special projects designated by Account Manager.
- Respond to inbound patient calls related to billing inquiries and follow up.
- Work returned mail and bad address accounts as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Medical billing preferred, but not required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Must be able to type minimum of 35 wpm
- Basic computer knowledge are essential
- Proficient use of Internet Explorer and ability to navigate various websites
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Word
- Customer service oriented
- Time management and the ability to multitask are essential
- Must display sufficient written and oral communication skills
- Must have the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Must have the ability to work with minimal supervision